Monday 30 October 2017

Sega Megadrive Project Update

Back in April of this year I did a project with a Japanese Megadrive. You can see more about that project here.  
 

------------------------
Some time has passed and I wanted to go back and fix a few things that have been nagging me about the finished console.

The region and language switches I had installed, are  unfortunately in the way of the expansion slot. Now, I don't intend on ever hooking this console to a Mega CD, still it's a bit of a shame.



Here you can see the switches, not great if you want to use the Mega CD .



The now removed, red Over-clock switch.

Originally the clock switch had been installed so that a Mega CD or 32x accessories could get the original clock signal if needed, as they would not function correctly (if at all) with the 10Mhz over-clock. This and the fact that not all games work great with an overclock and not all Motorola 68000 CPUs are up for it. I decided to remove the overclock mod.
 

I have more then one Megadrive. So I can always use another if I ever want to use a MegaCD. So basically I removed the overclock mod and I added  a nice new blue power LED.

If I'm ever doing this MOD again on another Megadrive, I'll locate all the switches on the other side. Even better again, I'll use an IC like the AT tiny, to control every thing rather then switches. 

It's running great, considering this poor old girl has been through the wars. Who ever had it before me was anything but nice to it, with their MODing attempts. Ripping pads, damaging control port connections and leaving flux all over the main board. I've done my best to undo some of the botched stuff. Re-flowing dry damaged joints, fixing pads and cleaning all the old flux off. I don't want to do too much more with the old girl. She's had enough Moding and abuse over the years. As it is now it should continue to play games for a long time to come, or until the capacitors fail many years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment