Friday 6 October 2017

Sega Game Gear audio amplifier fix

So after recaping the faulty Gamegear, I noticed that the sound on the first working console was very low. So i did a recap on the audio amplifier board.


Recaping this small audio board is not that easy. I de-soldered some of the caps. For most however, I got out my flush cutters and sniped them off the board. The base of the capacitors is a soft plastic. Once cut away you can snip the old leads. Cleaning the solder points with wick and contact cleaner after. If you don't have flush cutters then I wouldn't do it this way. 



I replaced the capacitors one by one. De-soldering and soldering one at a time on the main board. For the audio board I recommend removing all the caps first. It makes things a little bit easier as this is a small finicky board.


The LCD screen is on the way. Just got my tracking number for it so I should be starting the screen mod some time next week. For now I'm going to clean some of the games cartridges and play some childhood classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment