Thursday 5 October 2017

Sega Game Gear Capacitor Replacement

It's Alive! Finished replacing all the capacitors on the main board of the Sega Game Gear. Went slow, adding flux and whicking the contacts clean. Making sure to use contact cleaner before soldering the new caps on.


The main board was OK. Didn't find it too difficult. The audio board however was allot harder. In the end I replaced only one cap on it. C7. This one fails most of the time & as the audio was working fine before recaping, I figured I'd get away with it. With more practice and a better way to hold the PCB in place when working on it,  I'll come back and do the others.

Cheers to StigsWorld for the great video covering recaping the Game Gear sound board.


Once the new Screen arrives I'll re-access which console is best to use for the mod. No blue smoke or pops so far, all's going good.


No comments:

Post a Comment